Swift Silliker has over 23 years' experience offering food quality and safety solutions. We can provide you with a one-stop solution for all your food/product safety and quality requirements. Any or all of the services below can be customised into a tailor-made package for you.
Our team of technical specialists comprises of consultants who, in addition to their vast industry experience, are qualified in the fields of Environmental Health, Food Technology and Biotechnology. They service food, cosmetics and packaging manufacturers as well as the hospitality industry in Southern Africa.
For more information download our Food Quality and Safety brochure
Our auditors have attended SAATCA approved Lead Auditor Training and are in the process of registering as SAATCA approved auditors.
Hygiene audits – based on Regulations under the Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act (Act no. 54 of 1972, published in the Government Gazette on 23/11/2012), R962: Regulations governing general hygiene requirements for food premises and the transportation of food, each audit is customised to meet the individual needs of the customer and his/her particular industry.
Audits could include the following:
- Scientific evaluation – microbiological testing of swabs and products sampled during audits are conducted by our ISO17025 accredited laboratories in Midrand and Cape Town.
- Comprehensive hygiene audit reports – list deficiencies observed during visual inspections and provide detailed action plans.
- Temperature measurements – are included (where applicable) to ensure product safety.
- A quality rating system – is included in the audit report to evaluate performance and progress. This, together with en executive summary of the performance provides the manager/owner of the business with a management tool to measure and improve (where needed) hygiene standards.
This audit incorporates the basic requirements of the regulations and we recommend this as the first step for clients wanting to implement a Hygiene Management System
When you are consistently performing well in your basic hygiene audits and ready to take Hygiene Management to the next level, this audit will be ideal for your facility.
Food Safety Management Systems (including HACCP and ISO 22000)
We can guide you through the implementation process with any of the following:
- GAP analysis
- Implementation support visits
- Internal Audits
- Risk assessment
- Documentation assistance
- Verification audits
- Staff training (kitchen staff to management)
Scores are allocated to the hygiene audits so that you can continually measure improvement of your food management system.
Did you know that suppliers are your responsibility and your facility will be held liable for the safety and quality of items/services provided by your supplier?
We can manage your suppliers as follows:
- Frequent food safety and hygiene audits
- Quality management audits
- Assistance with supplier questionnaires
- Supplier documentation assistance
- Ethical audits
- Training of suppliers with regard to your specific requirements
Did you know that any premises falling under the OHS Act No85 of 1993 (HBA) is required by law to undertake a Legionella Risk Assessment?
Swift Silliker can assist with:
- An independent Legionella Risk Assessment
- Logbook to show due diligence/ legal compliance
- Designing a monitoring program
- Water sampling as part of the monitoring of Legionella
- 2 Accredited testing methods
- Continuous risk evaluations
- Basic Legionella Awareness training
- Effective use of logbook training
- Legionella Awareness for Management
Swift Silliker is a well-known for third party hygiene audits and is not associated with any water treatment company. The Legionella Risk Assessments are based on the requirements of the OHS Act, SANS 893 1-2:2013, ACOP 4th edition.
Do you know if your facility's cleaning and sanitation procedures are effective? We can develop tailor-made plans to verify and validate that good hygiene practices are effectively implemented and maintained. Are you monitoring the following areas/products?
- Oil (rancidity, deterioration, quality)
- Water (microbiological and chemical)
- Tap water
- Shower water
- Water coolers
- Swimming pools
- Coffee corners
- Food raw materials
- Final dishes/products
Food allergies are affecting many adults and children. Being informed about the allergen risks in your facility could prevent potentially fatal consequences for customers.
Our services include:
- On-site allergen risk assessment
- Allergen monitoring programmes
- Allergen testing
- Allergen management training (for all levels of staff)
You are responsible for the skills development and continuous education of your staff. Swift Silliker has an extensive range of training courses targeted at different levels (from kitchen staff to management level).
Our training offering includes:
- Customised training courses presented on-site at your facility
- National training venues (Cape Town, Midrand, Durban & George)
- Training DVD's - These are ideal for staff working shifts and for refreshing basic requirements.
- Posters - Remind your staff daily about the DO's and DON'Ts of food hygiene management by making these requirements more visual.
- E-learning - Do you want to ensure that hygiene/food safety practices are implemented and maintained correctly in all your stores? E-learning is ideal for stores which are located remotely.
This assessment involves an initial on-site audit to establish what the company would need to successfully implement a formal system. A pre-assessment of any of the following systems can be done: Hygiene, PRP, HACCP, BRC, ISO22000, FSSC22000 and PAS220.
A full report will be submitted to the client after the assessment including:
- All observations and findings made during the audit
- Recommended actions
- An executive summary which indicates where the company stands in terms of full implementation of a formal system
A follow-up meeting and presentation will be scheduled with the client to explain the findings and recommended actions.
These comprehensive on-site audits are booked to determine whether the company is ready for a third party certification audit (against any of the formal systems mentioned above).
A detailed report with findings and recommendations would be submitted after completion of the assessment. The report will focus on the practices on the factory floor, documentation and compliance to the current food safety system that is applicable to your industry.
It is recommended that these audits are scheduled no later than a month before the actual audit.
Swift Silliker can provide assistance with Food/Product Safety documentation such as policies, procedures, SOP’s and work instructions e.g. compiling these documents from scratch or commenting on existing documents to determine whether these are adequate for the specific Quality Management System. Swift Silliker will recommend actions to ensure that documents conform to the requirements of the system that the company would like to implement.
Documentation assistance can be provided on-site or from any of the Swift Silliker offices.
Implementation support could include any of the following:
- Assistance with factory layout and design, risk assessment and hazard analysis
- Regular visits to the company to ensure that deadlines for implementation of the specific Food/Product Safety requirements are met
- Attendance of review meetings/HACCP (and other) meetings to ensure that the necessary resources are provided and difficult implementation issues are resolved.
- Management presentations
- Attending the certification audit, to assist with difficult questions
Implementation support by one of our technical specialists.