With the ever-increasing risk of food poisoning outbreaks, as well as the risks and costs associated with product spoilage and recall, it has become critical to implement a quality system to ensure product safety. This system begins with hygiene.
Our hygiene team comprises of consultants who, in addition to their vast industry experience, are qualified in the fields of Environmental Health, Food Technology and Biotechnology. They service food, cosmetics and packaging manufacturers as well as the hospitality industry in Southern Africa.
Hygiene audits – based on Regulations under the Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act (Act no. 54 of 1972, published in the Government Gazette on 23/11/2012), R962: Regulations governing general hygiene requirements for food premises and the transportation of food, each audit is customized to meet the individual needs of the customer and their particular industry.
Audits could include the following:
- Scientific evaluation – microbiological testing of swabs and products sampled during audits are conducted by our ISO17025 accredited laboratories in Midrand and Cape Town.
- Comprehensive hygiene audit reports – list deficiencies observed during visual inspections and provide detailed action plans.
- Temperature measurements – are included where applicable to ensure product safety.
- A quality rating system – is included in the audit report to evaluate performance and progress. This, together with en executive summary of the performance provides the manager/owner of the business with a management tool to measure and improve (where needed) hygiene standards.
Inspectors are based in both Cape Town and Gauteng, allowing Swift Silliker to operate with flexibility and ease in all locations, in and around Southern Africa.
Clients who sign up for routine hygiene audits receive a hygiene certificate which affirms their proactive approach and commitment to hygiene. The certificate can be publicly displayed and serves as a marketing tool as well as a motivational tool for staff.
The implementation of an effective hygiene programme is one of the pre-requisites for HACCP implementation, making this crucial for clients who want to implement HACCP.
- One-on -one visits for routine hygiene clients by the hygiene consultant after the first hygiene inspection to discuss the report and prioritize the action plan needed to ensure continual improvement and maintenance of the hygiene programme.
- Basic hygiene awareness training for floor-workers as well as a hygiene refresher course can be included in the hygiene package.
- Hygiene systems implementation support – hygiene consultants can assist clients with hygiene documentation etc.
- Sampling and problem solving investigations – at the client’s premises